[R] kate editor for R

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz at cnio.es
Fri Jan 19 16:09:40 CET 2007

Hi Dirk,

On Friday 19 January 2007 15:39, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> Ramon, Frank,
>
> Great discussion. Nothing like an editor feud over morning coffee. Just
> kidding.

Not at the "editor flame war" stage yet (nobody mentioned vim :-).

> On 19 January 2007 at 11:18, Ramon Diaz-Uriarte wrote:
> | However, I specially missed:
> |
> | a) the possibility of opening as many R processes as I want, and placing
> | that buffer in wherever place and with whichever size I want.
> |
> | b) most of the rest of emacs, actually (hey, where did my shells go? and
> | my org-mode buffer? and my ...; not to talk about the keybindings).
>
> [ Thanks for the org-mode suggestion. That looks very useful. How do I get
> it to sync to my Palm, though? ;-) ]

I asked the same at the org-mode list some time back and there was a short
thread
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2006-11/msg00003.html). The
bottom line is this:
a) for the general org files, you send them to the palm as text, and you edit
them there with a suitable editor (e.g., PalmED). If org-mode files are kept
under version control, life becomes easier.
b) dealing with calendar is a more serious problem.
c) there seems to be some (not a lot of) interest in these issues, but things
are not smooth yet.

(I am using my Palm a lot less now, so I am no longer even doing a)
regularly).

> On 19 January 2007 at 07:12, Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:
> [...]
>
> | and I am used to its keybindings.  But I prefer kate for printing and
> | for managing multiple files in a project.  kate has a nice sidebar for
> | navigating the files, and indicates which files have been changed since
>
> As I am doing more C++ work, I glanced at oo-browser, sidebar, ecb (all in
> Debian/Ubuntu).  Would a real Emacs hacker be able to these to R code too?

I use ecb with R directly out of the ecb box. No problem.

> | they were saved.  kate also schematically depicts nested code with side
> | symbols connected by vertical lines for {}.  Scrolling of the R output
> | window is a little more logical in kate than in ESS.  I find myself
> | having to type Esc-shift-> often in ESS/Emacs to get to the bottom of
> | the R output but kate puts the cursor at the bottom.  Also I get a
> | little frustrated with package management in Xemacs (I know however that
> | it's nice to be able to load thousands of packages) related to file
> | permissions, ftp commands, anonymous logins, etc.  And from a purely
> | "looks" standpoint kate is superior.
>
> I switched back to GNU Emacs, using the emacs-snapshot-gtk package in
> Debian and Ubuntu. Prettier, and still emacs :)   I get by without locally
> install elisp code in /usr/local -- everything I needed was apt-get'able.

I had problems with one of the packages ecb depends upon (semantic ?), and
emacs-snapshot. IIRC it was a documented problem related to a bug in semantic
(?); maybe it's been fixed now. But what does emacs-snapshot-gtk provide you
now (besides the pretinness) that you'd miss with 21-4?

R.

--
Ramón Díaz-Uriarte
Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncológicas (CNIO)

http://ligarto.org/rdiaz
PGP KeyID: 0xE89B3462
(http://ligarto.org/rdiaz/0xE89B3462.asc)

**NOTA DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD** Este correo electrónico, y en s...{{dropped}}