[R] Scatterplot3d-proposal

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Tue Jan 23 13:40:48 CET 2007

Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 1/23/2007 6:38 AM, Atte Tenkanen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does somebody know if there is some trick to betoken the starting points ("on the floor") of the vertical lines in scatterplot3d-plots.
>> I'd prefer something like that one in the example here
>>
>> http://users.utu.fi/attenka/proposal3d.jpg
>>
>> If this is not possible, could this option be added? Sometimes it is not easy to distinguish objects behind the others and for instance in this example picture the case nr. 21 is important.
>
> scatterplot3d() returns a list of functions which could help with this,
> in particular the points3d function.

Right, or rather use the returned function xyz.convert, as in:

s3d <- scatterplot3d(1:10, 1:10, 1:10, type="h")
s3d$xyz.convert(5, 5, 0)

Now you got coordinates for the point on the plane with z=0 projected
from (5,5,5). It should be easy now to add circles, ellipses or whatever
you like.

Uwe Ligges