[R] replicating the odds ratio from a published study

Bob Green bgreen at dyson.brisnet.org.au
Fri Jan 26 22:26:45 CET 2007

Peetr & Michael,

I now see my description may have confused the issue.  I do want to compare
odds ratios across studies - in the sense that I want to create a table
with the respective odds ratio for each study. I do not need to
statistically test two sets of odds ratios.

What I want to do is ensure the method I use to compute an odds ratio is
accurate and intended to check my method against published sources.

The paper I selected by Schanda et al (2004). Homicide and major mental
disorders. Acta Psychiatr Scand, 11:98-107 reports a total sample of 1087.
Odds ratios are reported separately for men and women. There were 961 men
all of whom were convicted of homicide. Of these 961 men, 41 were diagnosed
with schizophrenia. The unadjusted odds ratio is for this  group of 41 is
cited as 6.52   (4.70-9.00).  They also report the general population aged
over 15 with schizophrenia =20,109 and the total population =2,957,239.

Any further clarification is much appreciated,

regards

Bob Green