[R] help with function "system" and MS-DOS command TYPE

Chen, Xiao jingy1 at ucla.edu
Wed Jan 31 18:39:45 CET 2007

Dear R-Help,

Thanks much.

I have received very good advice from a couple of experts.  R-help is
just wonderful!

I have combined all the solutions that I got and they are shown below:

zz<-file("d:/work/test/test.txt", "w")
cat("this is a test\n", file=zz)
close(zz)

setwd("d:/work/test")
shell("type test.txt")
system("cat test.txt", show.output.on.console=T)
file.show("d:/work/test/test.txt") #opens a new window
file.show("d:/work/test/test.txt", pager="console") #displays on console

Thanks again for all the help.

Best regards,

Xiao Chen
Statistical Consulting Group