[R] possible bug in ggplot2 v0.5.2???

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 4 08:55:50 CEST 2007

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007, hadley wickham wrote:

> Hi Stephane,
>
> The problem is that the windows graphics device doesn't support
> transparent colours.  You can get around this in two ways:

It certainly does!  Try col="transparent" (and perhaps consult your
dictionary).  It was news to me that the windows() graphics device worked
on
Linux i586.

What it does not support as yet is translucent colours, and that is a
restriction imposed by Windows (translucency support was introduced for
Windows XP, and we still try to support older versions of Windows, unlike
the MacOS people).  I have been working on a workaround, so translucency
support is likely to be implemented in R 2.6.0 for users of XP or later.

Given that neither of the two main screen devices and neither of the
standard print devices support translucency, the subject line looks
correct to me: the problem surely lies in the assumptions made in ggplot2.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk