[R] How to install R 2.5 with Synaptic in Ubuntu?

Stefan Grosse singularitaet at gmx.net
Wed Jul 4 13:52:47 CEST 2007

msmith schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion and I wish the solution was that obvious, but I
> have changed it to really point at my favourite mirror.
>
> Using your example Synaptic reports the following error when I try to update
> the repositories:
>
> http://www.stats.bris.ac.uk/R/bin/linux/ubuntu/dists/feisty/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz:
> 404 Not Found
>
> This is understandable since that location doesn't exist, but it makes me
> think that the directory structure of the R mirrors is not compatible with
> Ubuntu and Synaptic, since it automatically seeks /dists/feisty/ rather than
> just /feisty/ as it is on the CRAN mirrors.

Hm. I have Fedora 7 so I cannot really check what my entry would look
like. I recently installed Kubuntu on a friends notebook so there the
readme from http://www.stats.bris.ac.uk/R/bin/linux/ubuntu/README.html
did actually work. I just had a second look at your mail so could it be
that there is a missing slash after feisty? If that does not work try
another mirror like

deb http://stat.ethz.ch/CRAN/bin/linux/ubuntu/ feisty/

there is also no main stated there in the readme... sorry I copied that
from your mail so thats obviously not following the readme...

I hope this works now.

Stefan

-=-=-
... Satisfaction does not come with achievement, but with effort. Full
effort is full victory. (M.Gandhi)