[R] random sampling with some limitive conditions?

Daniel Nordlund res90sx5 at verizon.net
Sat Jul 7 23:08:06 CEST 2007

You could reorder your table by stepping through your table a column at a time, and for each column randomly deciding to swap the current column with a column that has the same column total.  Repeat this process for each row, i.e. for each row, randomly choose a row with the same row total to swap with.

Here is some example code which is neither efficient nor general, but does demonstrate the basic idea.  You will need to decide if this approach meets you needs.

# I created a data file with your table (8x8) and read from it
sites <- read.table("c:/R/R-examples/site_random_sample.txt", header=TRUE)
sites
# get row and column totals
colsums <- apply(sites,2,sum)
rowsums <- apply(sites,1,sum)
# randomly swap columns
for(i in 1:8) {
  if (runif(1) > .5) {
    swapcol<-sample(which(colsums==colsums[i]),1)
    temp<-sites[,swapcol]
    sites[,swapcol]<-sites[,i]
    sites[,i]<-temp
    }
  }
# randomly swap rows
for(i in 1:8) {
  if (runif(1) > .5) {
    swaprow<-sample(which(rowsums==rowsums[i]),1)
    temp<-sites[swaprow,]
    sites[swaprow,]<-sites[i,]
    sites[i,]<-temp
    }