[R] Help with write.foreign (exporting data to Stata)

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Tue Jul 10 21:57:56 CEST 2007

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, Stefan Grosse wrote:

> I am not sure what you are doing there but what you need is
> library(foreign)
> and
> write.dta()

write.foreign should also work, though.

My guess is that Kate used tempfile() to specify the filenames, and that the data file would then have been deleted on leaving R.  This is only a guess, of course.

The syntax for write.dta is
   write.dta(the.data.set, file="dataset.dta")
and for write.foreign is
   write.foreign(the.data.set,codefile="dataset.do", datafile="dataset.raw",
        package="Stata")

     -thomas