[R] Improved Windows Vista compatibility

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 11 09:19:13 CEST 2007

Duncan Murdoch and I have been working on Vista compatibility.

The first build of R-2.5.1-win32.exe was built with a version of the
installer that had some compatibility issues, and it has been rebuilt
under the latest version.  What now happens is that if you want to install
R in an adminstrative area you need to select 'Run as Administrator' when
running the installer: otherwise the default installation directory
offered will be in your user area (e.g. c:/Users/ripley/Documents).

The Tcl support files came with obsolete Winhelp 4 .hlp files that are not
readable under Vista, and .chm help has been added.  (As from the next
release .hlp will be dropped.)

Rtools.exe has also been rebuilt with newer versions of the tools that
work on Vista.  There is still a compiler path issue, and you need to add

c:\Rtools\MinGW\libexec\gcc\mingw\3.4.5

(or similar) to your path.  When that is done I have successfully built
and run R-patched and R-devel on 64-bit Vista.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk