[R] inquiry about anova and ancova

Anderson, Mary-Jane mary-jane.anderson at isd.csa.scot.nhs.uk
Wed Jul 11 11:50:57 CEST 2007

Dear R users,
	 I have a rather knotty analysis problem and I was hoping that
someone on this list would be able to help. I was advised to try this list
by a colleague who uses R but it is a statistical inquiry not about how to
use R.
 In brief I have a 3x2 anova, 2 tasks under 3 conditions, within subjects. I
also took a variety of personality measures that might influence the results
under the different conditions. I had thought that an ancova would be the
best test, but it might be the case that this would not work with a within
subjects design. I have not found anything that explicitly states whether or
not it would, but all the examples I have read are between subjects design.
 I also thought of investigating a manova, but it is not really the case
that I have more than one DV, it is the same DV in 6 different combinations
of task and condition.
 There were 4 personality measures and I wanted to look at the degree to
which they affected the task/ condition interaction.
 I have explained this briefly here, but I can of course provied more
details to anyone who can advise me further with this.
Thanks,
Mary-Jane Anderson
Information Analyst
Platform Project