[R] inquiry about anova and ancova

Andrew Robinson A.Robinson at ms.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Jul 11 12:29:41 CEST 2007

Hi Mary,

it sounds like you have a split-plot design, or more gruesomely, a
split-subject design.

The model that I infer from your description of the design can be fit
using the lme() function of the nlme() package, along the lines of a
similar analysis documented in section 1.6 of Pinheiro and Bates
(2000).  It should also be possible by using the aov() function in
base R.

Cheers,

Andrew