[R] Warning message: cannot create HTML package index

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 11 12:45:37 CEST 2007

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> Leo wrote:

>>> It is a correct warning.  What is the problem with being warned?
>>>
>>> R tries to maintain an HTML page of installed packages, but you don't have
>>> permission to update it.
>>>

>> Where is that HTML page located on a GNU/Linux system?
>>
>> Is it possible to maintain a user HTML page of installed packages?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
> This confuses me a bit too. I had gotten used to the warning without
> thinking about it. It tries to update $RHOME/doc/html/packages.html,
> which starts like this:

> However, if I run help.start, I get
>
>> help.start()
> Making links in per-session dir ...
> If 'firefox' is already running, it is *not* restarted, and you must
>    switch to its window.
> Otherwise, be patient ...
>
> and then it opens (say)
>  file:///tmp/RtmpXyp5Cg/.R/doc/html/index.html
> which has a link to
>  file:///tmp/RtmpXyp5Cg/.R/doc/html/packages.html
>
> which looks like this

> I.e. it is autogenerated by help.start and doesn't even look at the file
> in $RHOME. So what puzzles me is
>
> (a) why we maintain $RHOME/doc/html/packages.html at all
>
> One argument could be that this is browseable for everyone on a system,
> even without starting R. But then

Some front-end GUIs use it (or used to use it).

> (b) why do we even try updating it when packages are installed in a
> private location?

We don't know that.  Given the use of symbolic links, it is not clear
which libraries are private and which are links to .Library.  However, we
could be less cautious about this, and I've altered the code to update
only if the path matches .Library exactly.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk