[R] system: Linux vs. Windows differences

(Ted Harding) ted.harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Wed Jul 11 23:32:58 CEST 2007

On 11-Jul-07 18:28:19, Marc Schwartz wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 16:16 -0200, Alberto Monteiro wrote:
>> [I tried to send this messages two days ago, but I guess I mistyped
>> the To:
>> address...]
>>
>> Why "system" is different in Linux and Windows? Both in R 2.4.1, but
>> in
>> Windows there is an option:
>>
>>   system(something, wait = FALSE)
>>
>> while on Linux (Fedora Core 4), there is no such option?
>>
>> Alberto Monteiro

>   https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/NEWS
>
> for changes in R 2.5.0:
>
> o     system() now takes the same set of arguments on all platforms,
>       with those which are not applicable being ignored with a
>       warning.  Unix-alikes gain 'input' and 'wait', and Windows
>       gains 'ignore.stderr'.
>

> Time to upgrade both your R and your FC installation.
>
> R is at 2.5.1.
>
> FC4 has been EOL (End of Life) for some time and FC5 hit EOL last
> month.
>
> HTH,
>
> Marc Schwartz

"End of Life" is a Nomenklatura categorisation.

While we loyal Members welcome and applaud President-2.5.1,
we do not forget old Comrades now air-brushed from the photographs
who, now faceless, sturdily labour 24 hours a day in the fields
and saltmines, and even in the dark attics of those who conceal
and protect them still.

There can be life in old dogs, and even strong teeth in some.

Ted.
[emailing from SuSE-5.2 (1997), logged in from Red Hat 9 (2003)]

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <ted.harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 11-Jul-07                                       Time: 22:32:13