[R] Fwd: THANK YOU: Updating R version

John C Frain frainj at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 23:31:18 CEST 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John C Frain <frainj at gmail.com>
Date: 13-Jul-2007 22:30
Subject: Re: [R] THANK YOU: Updating R version
To: "Christopher W. Ryan" <cryan at binghamton.edu>

When I update R the following has worked for me (Windows XP)

1. Install the new version to a new directory (say C:\Program Files\R\R-2.5.1).

2 Rename the new library subdirectory  to library2.

3 Copy the entire contents of the old library subdirectory (say
C:\Program Files\R\R-2.4.0\library\ to the new R root to create
C:\Program Files\R\R-2.5.1\library\ .

4 Copy the contents of library2 to library to update your basic library.

5 Now start your new version of R and update packages from the GUI or
from the R console.  (You may need to firs check Rprofile .site to
ensure that no packages have been loaded)

6. On occasion I have got warning messages when I tried to load
packages after this procedure.  This has been cleared by running

update.packages(checkBuilt = TRUE)

This checks that your packages have been built with the latest
version.  When I do this I  agree to install all available updates.

7 You may wish to copy various autoloads etc from your old
Rprofile.site to your new Rprofile.site.  I understand that there are
some compatibility problems with 2.5.1 and SciViews so be careful.

Best Regards

John

On 13/07/07, Christopher W. Ryan <cryan at binghamton.edu> wrote:
> This sounds like a solution I've been looking for.  With this setup now
> in place, when you download and install some new packages, where will
> they be put?  Into C:\myRlib ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --Chris
> Christopher W. Ryan, MD
> SUNY Upstate Medical University Clinical Campus at Binghamton
> 40 Arch Street, Johnson City, NY  13790
> cryanatbinghamtondotedu
> PGP public keys available at http://home.stny.rr.com/ryancw/
>
> "If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood,
> divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
> vast and endless sea."  [Antoine de St. Exupery]
>
> Raghu Naik wrote:
> > Based on the feedback received, I did the following:
> >
> > a) moved my lib sub-directory from the existing installed R version to
> > c:\myRLib
> > b) installed the updated R version
> > c) created .Renviron file in the home directory (C:\R-2.5.1) with the line
> > R_LIBS=c:/myRLib
> > d) used .libPaths() command to confirm that the new R installation was
> > recognizing the myRLib sub-directory
> > e) deleted my old R installation
> >
> > Things worked fine.
> >
> > Thanks you.