[R] memory problem

Li, Xue xli28 at uic.edu
Sat Jul 14 18:20:58 CEST 2007

Hi,

My computer has 2GB of ram and I also request 2GB of virtual ram from c
drive, therefore totally I have 4GB of ram. Before I open R workshop, I
also add "C:\Program Files\R\R-2.5.0\bin\Rgui.exe"
--max-mem-size=3000Mb--max-vsize=3000Mb" into the target of R by right
clicking the R icon-properties.

I am running a program (DPglmm), which is built in DPpackage.  The program
is running, but at the final stage, R generates an error message 'Error:
cannot allocate vector of size 309.9 Mb'

My code and output is as follows.

> memory.limit(size=4000)
NULL
> fit0 <- DPglmm(fixed=Bpov~1,random=~1|cluster,data=MyData,
+ family=binomial(logit),n=Total,prior=prior,mcmc=mcmc,state=NULL, +
status=TRUE)
Error: cannot allocate vector of size 309.9 Mb

It is very interesting that If i don't request 2GB of virtual memory from
hard drive, the DPglmm doesn't run at all. After 2 minutes, R generates an
error message 'Error: cannot allocate vector of size 309.9 Mb'. When i
increased the ram, the DPglmm is running and it takes about 1 hr to finish
running. Then it generates an error message 'Error: cannot allocate vector
of size 309.9 Mb'. When I click fit0, i get nothing.

I am very frustrated with this. It is very wired that my computer does
have enough ram, however a vetor of size 309.9 Mb can't be stored.

Thanks very much.

xue