[R] How to load a dataset

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jul 16 10:14:36 CEST 2007

See ?Startup.

Rprofile.site (sic) is for site-wide settimgs, not

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007, Felipe Carrillo wrote:

> Hi:
>  Since I didn't get any answers, I'll refresh my question.

What you needed to do was to read the posting guide.  As you are _still_
sending HTML mail, you clearly have not yet done so.  It advised you that
if you do not get any answers you need to improve the quality of your
posting.

You have not told us your OS, as requested there.

>  I have a dataset called "Chinook Run" saved in Excel and I want it to be loaded everytime R starts, so I can call it with a statement like the one below:
>  qplot(color, Year/Forklength, data = Chinook Run)

R object names cannot contain spaces unless quoted (here `Chinnok Run`).
It would be a lot easier to use Chinook_Run.

>  I wonder how can I do that.
>  I went to the rprofile.site and copied the path to my dataset there and
>  it seems to work but I am wondering if that's how's done.

Just adding the path to the dataset will not work.  Adding a command
to load the dataset might, but you have not told us the format of the
dataset you saved.  The file etc/Rprofile.site (sic) is intended for
site-wide settings (see ?Startup) and loads into 'base', something you
should avoid.

The normal way to do this to save the workspace containing the objects you
want loaded in subsequent sessions.