[R] Errors in data frames from read.table

Pat Carroll docpat2511 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 16 16:13:09 CEST 2007

Hello, all.

I am working on a project with a large (~350Mb, about 5800 rows) insurance claims dataset. It was supplied in a tilde(~)-delimited format. I imported it into a data frame in R by setting memory.limit to maximum (4Gb) for my computer and using read.table.

To replicate, I tried the same import procedure on a smaller demographics data set from the same supplier- only about 1Mb, and got the same kinds of errors (5 bad rows in about 3500). I also imported as much of the file as Excel would hold and cross-checked, Excel did not produce the same errors but can't handle the entire file. I have used read.table on a number of other formats (mainly csv and tab-delimited) without such problems; so far it appears there's something different about these files that produces the errors but I can't see what it would be.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what is going wrong? And is there a way, short of manual correction, for fixing it?

Thanks for all help,
~Pat.

Pat Carroll.
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire.
bukowski.