[R] scaling of different data sets in ggplot

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 06:48:07 CEST 2007

Hi Stephen,

You can't do that in ggplot (have two different scales) because I
think it's generally a really bad idea.  The whole point of plotting
the data is so that you can use your visual abilities to gain insight
into the data.  When you have two different scales the positions of
the two groups are essentially arbitrary - the data only have x values
in common, not y values.  You essentially have two almost unrelated
graphs plotted on top of each other.

On the other hand, for this data, I think it would be reasonable to
plot log(z) and y on the same scale - the data is transformed not the
scales.

Hadley