[R] R MySQL Configuration

Mark Bulkeley markbulk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 19:26:25 CEST 2007

Quick question about the configuration files  relative to RMySQL (I've
tried to get feedback directly from the author David James, but his
email address was non-responsive):

Documentation at http://cran.r-project.org/doc/packages/RMySQL.pdf on
page 3 indicates that for windows machines the only place that the
my.cnf file will be looked for is the root (C:\) directory.  Is this
read correct?  When launching R, I've set the HOME directory
elsewhere, but am unsuccessful in getting recognition of my group
definitions in this way (only works when the file is in C:\ )

Does anybody know if there are plans to implement the default.file
option noted on page 17 of the same documentation (noted as
"Currently unused")?  If I set it now, I get "Error in
mysqlNewConnection(drv,  ...): unused argument(s) (default.file ...)"

My goal is to eliminate plain text database passwords from my computer
and at least put it on a secured network location,  but I need to let
RMySQL know how to find it.  Thanks for your  help.

Regards,
Mark