[R] GEE code

Dimitris Rizopoulos dimitris.rizopoulos at med.kuleuven.be
Fri Jul 20 10:19:05 CEST 2007

from your description I think you need a random-effects model. Since
you assume normality the parameter estimates from a random-effects
model (in your case `GDP.log2') have a marginal interpretation (in
fact they have both conditional and marginal interpretation). Thus,
you could also use lmer() from package `lme4' to fit such a model,
e.g.,

fit1 <- lmer(ineq ~ GDP.log2 + (1 | country), data = data3)
summary(fit1)
# intercept + Emprirical Bayes estimates of
# the random-effect per country
fixef(fit1)[1] + unlist(ranef(fit1))

If you have repeated measurement in time, you could include
random-slopes (e.g., in lmer()) or an AR1 structure, as you did below.
For the latter case, you probably want to use functions lme() and
gls() from package `nlme'.

I hope it helps.

Best,
Dimitris

----
Dimitris Rizopoulos
Ph.D. Student
Biostatistical Centre
School of Public Health
Catholic University of Leuven

Address: Kapucijnenvoer 35, Leuven, Belgium
Tel: +32/(0)16/336899
Fax: +32/(0)16/337015
Web: http://med.kuleuven.be/biostat/
     http://www.student.kuleuven.be/~m0390867/dimitris.htm