[R] can I paste 'newline'?

runner sunnyside500 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 19:42:47 CEST 2007

Thanks for replied from you all. I 've got better understanding of what
cat/paste does. what I am trying is to make FASTA format data. i.e. for each
line starting with '>', add '\n' at both ends while get rid of all '\n's for
the rest.

e.g. this is original messy data, I need to remove newlines within the text
bodies:

>no1
this is the first entry ('\n')
but here is extra newline('\n')
and also here that we need to remove.
>no2
this is the second entry, which is fine in format.
>no3

Of course, perl would be good at this, but I want to try with R for the
other reason.
thanks.