[R] Package design, placement of legacy functions

William Asquith wasquith at austin.rr.com
Sun Jul 22 20:29:24 CEST 2007

I have a function XOLD() from a nearly verbatim port of legacy
FORTRAN in a package. I have remplemented this function as XNEW()
using much cleaner native R and built-in functions of R. I have
switched the package to the XNEW(), but for historical reasons would
like to retain the XOLD() somewhere in the package directory
structure. An assertion through a README or other will point to this
historical function and the output from the two should be numerically
equal.

Placement in package/R is not an option as XOLD() no longer
constitutes a true user level function, would package/inst/legacyR or
something like that be suitable to the R community?

Thanks for the guidance. . .

William