[R] maths characters in labels & ylab padding

Mike Meredith mmeredith at wcs.org
Mon Jul 23 08:56:04 CEST 2007

Help on this is in

?plotmath

You can use

ylab = expression("Y Label   " (m^2))

Use par(mar..) to increase the margin width, and then mtext to place y axis
label:

y <- 1:10
x <- rnorm(10,50000,2000)
par(mar = c(5,6,4,2) + 0.1)
plot(x ~ y,
   ylab = "",
   las = 1,
   type = "n",
   bty = "n"
)
mtext(expression("Y Label   " (m^2)), side = 2, line = 4)

If you use this within a function, you'll probably want to reset the margins
on exit:

old.mar <- par(mar = c(5,6,4,2) + 0.1) ; on.exit(par(old.mar))

HTH, Mike.