[R] extension of rnormp package

Elio Mineo elio.mineo at dssm.unipa.it
Tue Jul 24 13:14:49 CEST 2007

Il giorno mar, 24/07/2007 alle 06.39 +0100, Prof Brian Ripley ha
scritto:
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Iwona Szyd?owska wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>
> > I would like to ask You, how to generate random numbers from an
> > exponential power family with a shape parameter p less than 1(p->0). I
> > found the rnormp package, which can generate numbers from this
> > distribution, but only for parameter less or equal 1.
>
> It seems you mean package 'normalp', and that the package author believes
> that the exponential power distribution is only defined for p >= 1
> (although that is not on the help page). Other authors believe it is
> defined by a relationship to the gamma for all p > 0. So all you need to
> do is to change the condition from p < 1 to p <= 0 in rnormp and friends.

Well, I know that an exponential power distribution is defined for p>0,
(I think quite all the references I know consider p>0), but for 0<p<1
the algorithms that I have implemented for the estimates of the
distribution parameters and for the regression parameters are really
instable (pratically are not usable at all). Then, I prefered for all
the functions of the normalp package consider only the case p>=1.
All the best,
Angelo Mineo