[R] crimtab related question

roger koenker rkoenker at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 25 00:58:39 CEST 2007

While on the subject of mechanical methods of statistical research  I
can't
resist quoting Doob's (1997) Statistical Science interview:

> My system, complicated by my inaccurate typing, led to retyping
> material over and over, and for some time I had an electric drill
> on my desk, provided with an eraser bit which I used to erase
> typing. I rarely used the system of brushing white fluid over a
> typed error because I was not patient enough to let the fluid dry
> before retyping. Long after my first book was done I discovered the
> tape rolls which cover lines of type. As I typed and retyped my
> work it became so repugnant to me that I had more and more
> difficulty even to look at it to check it. This fact accounts for
> many slips that a careful reading would have discovered. I commonly
> used a stochastic system of checking, picking a page and then a
> place on the page at random and reading a few sentences, in order
> to avoid reading it in context and thereby to avoid reading what
> was in my mind rather than what I had written. At first I would
> catch something at almost every trial, and I would continue until
> several trials would yield nothing. I have tried this system on
> other authors, betting for example that I would find something to
> correct on a randomly chosen printed page of text, and
> nonmathematicans suffering under the delusion that mathematics is
> errorless would be surprised at how many bets I have won.

The relevance to the present inquiry is confirmed by the misspelling
of Dennison in the Annals reference
quoted below.  See, for example:

http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Dennison-Metal-Rim-Tags/dp/B000AN376G

On the substance of Jean's question, Mark's interpretation seems very
plausible.

Thanks to Jean and to Martin Maechler for adding this dataset to R.

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
email    rkoenker at uiuc.edu            Department of Economics
vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
fax:       217-244-6678                Champaign, IL 61820