[R] aggregate.ts

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Thu Jul 26 16:56:58 CEST 2007

Jeff,

I'm really not a fan of subjective "mine is bigger than yours"
discussions. Just three comments that I try to keep as objective as
possible.

> Bottom line: use 'tis' series from the fame package, or 'zoo` stuff from
> Gabor's zoo package.

The last time I checked
  packageDescription("zoo")$Author
had more than one entry.

> As the author of the fame package, I hope you'll excuse
> me for asserting that the 'tis' class is easier to understand and use than the
> zoo stuff,

That surely depends on the user and the task he has to do...

> which takes a more general approach.  Some day Gabor or I or some
> other enterprising soul should try combining the best ideas from zoo and fame
> into a package that is better than either one.

I think combination should be straightforward: "zoo" is general enough to
allow for time indexes of class "ti". Overall, "ti" seems to be
well-written and only some methods might need to be added/improved to
cooperate fully with zoo. Maybe some of the functionality that is
currently available for "tis" but is not available for all conceivalbe
zoo+arbitrary_index objects might be special cased for zoo+ti or zooreg or
zooreg+ti etc.

Best,