[R] offset in coxph

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 26 23:34:38 CEST 2007

Removed?  That it was ever there is not my recollection and seems very
unlikely given that survival is ported from S where glm() does not have
it,

As far as I know it has only ever been in glm() and lm() in R: the way
which is described in the White Book is to use the offset() function, and
this is preferred (it works correctly for prediction, for example).  The
function form is supported for coxph, and used in the test suite.

Please forget you ever knew 'offset' could be an argument, and use
offset() in your formulae instead.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk