[R] text() and vector arguments like adj

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jul 30 17:50:13 CEST 2007

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, strinz at freenet.de wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I remarked that the function
> ## Default S3 method:
> text (x, y = NULL, labels = seq(along = x), adj = NULL,pos = NULL, offset = 0.5, vfont = NULL,cex = 1, col = NULL, font = NULL, ...)
>
> accepts vectors of arguments (of the same length) except for the
> parameter adj.

Not true, e.g. for vfont.

> When passing a vector of information for adjusting the labels, only the
> first value is taken.

You mean supplying a vector value of length > 1 for 'adj', I guess.

> Any special reason for this ?

Yes, please DO read the help page:

      adj: one or two values in [0,1] which specify the x (and
           optionally y) adjustment of the labels.  On most devices
           values outside that interval will also work.

Note, 'one or two'.

> btw: could a rotating argument like the 'srt' argument in mtext() be
> incorporated ?

Yes, *parameter* 'srt' works exactly as in mtext: see the '...' part of
the help page.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk