[R] Piecewise Regression with a known slope

vmuggeo at dssm.unipa.it vmuggeo at dssm.unipa.it
Tue Jul 31 17:05:00 CEST 2007

Dear Jarrett,

If I understand correctly your post, your constraints may be achieved
straightforwardly in segmented. See the code below.

> The error is also most likely gamma distributed..[SNIP]
The 'error' component can be specified in the 'initial' model by means of
the family argument in the glm() function

> I have attempted to use the segmented package, specifying something
> close to the visually estimated breakpoint as the value of psi, but
> it continues to return fits with a breakpoint that occurs somewhere
> in the middle of the linear portion of the line, ..[SNIP]

Mhmm..you can specify different starting values and to assess the
differences in the 'final' estimates. However if you says "..it continues
to return fits with a breakpoint that occurs somewhere in the middle.."
probably the ML estimate of the breakpoint is really in the middle.

Hope this helps you,

best,
vito

####simulate data
n<-50
x<-1:n/n
y<- 0-pmin(x-.5,0)+rnorm(50)*.03
plot(x,y) #This should be your scatterplot..
abline(0,0,lty=2)

o<-lm(y~x) #or glm(y~x,family=..)
o1<-segmented(o,seg.Z=~x,psi=list(x=.3))
slope(o1) #get the slope
points(x,fitted(o1),col=2)

#a parsimonious modelling: constrain right slope=0
o<-lm(y~1)
xx<- -x
o2<-segmented(o,seg.Z=~xx,psi=list(xx=-.3))
slope(o2)
points(x,fitted(o2),col=2)

#now constrain \hat{\mu}(x)=0 for x>psi

o<-lm(y~0)
o3<-segmented(o,seg.Z=~xx,psi=list(xx=-.3))
slope(o3)
points(x,fitted(o3),col=3)