[R] AIC consistency with S-PLUS

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Fri Jun 1 02:56:41 CEST 2007

I think we need some clarification here.

extractAIC() is available on both systems, in the stats package in R and
in the MASS library in S-PLUS.  If you use extractAIC() on both systems,
do you get the same ordering of models?

AIC() is also available on both systems, in the stats package again in
R, and in the nlme3 library in S-PLUS.  On R there are not too many
classes where methods are available for both, but on S-PLUS there are a
few.

So what are you comparing with what?  You need to say what classes of
objects you are dealing with, that is very important, and what generic
functions you are using for the comparison on each system.  The capacity
for confusion in this area is immense.

Bill Venables
CSIRO Laboratories
PO Box 120, Cleveland, 4163
AUSTRALIA
Office Phone (email preferred): +61 7 3826 7251
Fax (if absolutely necessary):  +61 7 3826 7304
Mobile:                (I don't have one!)
Home Phone:                     +61 7 3286 7700
mailto:Bill.Venables at csiro.au
http://www.cmis.csiro.au/bill.venables/