[R] mahalanobis

gatemaze at gmail.com gatemaze at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 12:26:54 CEST 2007

On 31/05/07, Anup Nandialath <anup_nandialath at yahoo.com> wrote:
> oops forgot the example example
>
> try this line
>
> sqrt(mahalanobis(all, colMeans(predictors), cov(all), FALSE)
Hi and thanks for the reply Anup. Unfortunately, I had a look on the
example before posting but not much of a help... I did some further
tests and in order to have the same results I must run mahalanobis
with the predictors only dataset, ie.
mahalanobis(predictors, colMeans(predictors), cov(predictors)).

Now, on a first glance it seems to me a bit strange that the influence
of these points on a regression are measured without taking into
account the response variable (provided that the other stat software
calculates the mahalanobis distances correctly).... but I guess this
is something that I have to resolve by doing some studying on my own
on the mahalanobis distance...

thanks again.

> now cross check with other software
>
> best