[R] What is the maximum size of a matrix?

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Sat Jun 2 00:23:31 CEST 2007

Harold,

Actually there is a maximum size, even if one had sufficient memory.

Since a matrix is a vector with a dim attribute, and these objects are
indexed using integers, the maximum sized vector one 'could' create is:

> .Machine$integer.max
[1] 2147483647

which is:

> 2^31 - 1
[1] 2147483647

and that does not differ on 64 bit systems.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz