[R] Lines to plots with a for-loop

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Jun 5 14:04:12 CEST 2007

Saanisto, Taija wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm plotting several graphs with a for-loop with a code:
>
> par(mfrow=c(3,4))
>
> for(i in levels(fHCGB$code)) with(subset(fHCGB,code==i),
> plot(pooledPlateIntra, type="b", ylim=ylim, xlab=code, ylab="CV%"))
>

> With which I have no problems.. However I need to add lines to all of
> these 12 plots, but I cannot get it to work. I've tried for example
>
> par(mfrow=c(3,4))
>
> for(i in levels(fHCGB$code)) with(subset(fHCGB,code==i),
> plot(pooledPlateIntra, type="b", ylim=ylim, xlab=code, ylab="CV%")
> points(fHCGB$limitVarC,type="b", col="green")))
>
> But run into errors. How can the lines be added?

The with() construct gets a little more complicated if you want to do
more than one thing inside:

for(i in levels(fHCGB$code)) with(subset(fHCGB,code==i), {
  plot(pooledPlateIntra, type="b", ylim=ylim, xlab=code, ylab="CV%")
  points(fHCGB$limitVarC,type="b", col="green")
})

or, since with() is really only needed for the plot()

for(i in levels(fHCGB$code)) {
  with(subset(fHCGB,code==i),
     plot(pooledPlateIntra, type="b", ylim=ylim, xlab=code, ylab="CV%"))
  points(fHCGB$limitVarC,type="b", col="green")
}

(& you might have used lines() rather than points() if you think of it as an added line, but that's a matter of taste since the two functions only differ in the default for type=.)

    -p