[R] Refactor all factors in a data frame

Hilmar Berger hilmar.berger at imise.uni-leipzig.de
Tue Jun 5 14:20:24 CEST 2007

Hi all,

Assume I have a data frame with numerical and factor variables that I
got through merging various other data frames and subsetting the
resulting data frame afterwards. The number levels of the factors seem
to be the same as in the original data frames, probably because subset()
calls [.factor without drop = TRUE (that's what I gather from scanning
the mailing lists).

I wonder if there is a easy way to refactor all factors in the data
frame at once. I noted that fix(data_frame) does the trick, however,
this needs user interaction, which I'd like to avoid. Subsequent
write.table / read.table would be another option but I'm not sure if R
can guess the factor/char/numeric-type correctly when reading the table.

So, is there any way in drop the unused factor levels from *all* factors
of a data frame without import/export ?

Thanks in advance,
Hilmar

--