[R] Expand duplicated observations

Simon Blomberg s.blomberg1 at uq.edu.au
Wed Jun 6 04:19:26 CEST 2007

D'Oh!

yet again my first inclination is to write something complicated when a
little thought shows a short, neat solution. Ah, well, I live and learn.

Cheers,

Simon.

On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 09:59 +0800, Jared O'Connell wrote:
> Also, to handle NAs and non-integers:
>
> > x = c(1:3,9.4,NA)
> > tmp = round(x)
> > tmp[is.na(tmp)]=1
> > rep(x,tmp)
>  [1] 1.0 2.0 2.0 3.0 3.0 3.0 9.4 9.4 9.4 9.4 9.4 9.4 9.4 9.4 9.4  NA
>

> On 6/6/07, Francisco J. Zagmutt <gerifalte28 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I think this will do what you want
> >
> > x=c(1,2,3)
> > rep(x,x)
> > [1] 1 2 2 3 3 3
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Francisco
> >
> > M. P. Papadatos wrote:
> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > > I am trying to  expand duplicated observations. I need to replace each
> > > observation in the dataset with n copies of the observation, where n is
> > > equal to the required expression rounded to the nearest integer. If the
> > > expression is less than 1 or equal to missing, it is interpreted as if
> > > it were 1, and the observation is retained but not duplicated.
> > >
> > > Example
> > >
> > > From
> > > c(1,2,3)

> > > c(1,2,2,3,3,3)
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance.
> > >
> > > Best wishes,
> > > Martin

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Simon Blomberg, BSc (Hons), PhD, MAppStat.
Lecturer and Consultant Statistician
Faculty of Biological and Chemical Sciences
The University of Queensland
St. Lucia Queensland 4072
Australia

Room 320, Goddard Building (8)
T: +61 7 3365 2506
email: S.Blomberg1_at_uq.edu.au

The combination of some data and an aching desire for
an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can
be extracted from a given body of data. - John Tukey.