[R] How to load a big txt file

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Thu Jun 7 05:35:50 CEST 2007

Alex,

See

 	R Data Import/Export Version 2.5.0 (2007-04-23)

search for 'large' or 'scan'.

Usually, taking care with the arguments

 	nlines, what, quote, comment.char

should be enough to get scan() to cooperate.

You will need around 1GB RAM to store the result, so if you are working on
a machine with less, you will need to upgrade. Consider storing the result
as a numeric matrix.

If any of those columns are long strings not needed in your computation,
be sure to skip over them. Read the 'Details' of the help page for scan()
carefully.

Chuck