[R] Can I treat subject as fixed effect in linear model

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Jun 7 06:16:19 CEST 2007

      The short answer is that you could fit that fixed-effect model
using 'lm', for example.  That would make sense if you wanted to make
inference only about that particular group of 20 subjects AND you
thought it was inappropriate to consider that their contribution to a
model would follow a normal distribution.

      If you want to make inference beyond that group of 20 subjects,
then the fixed effect analysis is not appropriate.  If you thought it
was inappropriate to think that individual adjustments for each subject
were normally distributed, then the question is how far from normal
might they be.

      I don't think Model2 is "illegal" in the sense that you are not
likely to be sent to prison for using it.  However, I wouldn't do it.
I'd make use your Model 1 and make all the plots that seem consistent
with that model, as described in Pinheiro and Bates (2000) Mixed-Effects
Models in S and S-Plus (Springer).  If the plots (or something else)
suggested that some of my assumptions were inappropriate, then I'd
consider other alternative models.  However, that could be a lot of
work, and I wouldn't undertake such an effort without some pretty strong
justification.

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer