[R] power of logistic regression in case control design

Bingshan Li bli1 at bcm.tmc.edu
Fri Jun 8 00:15:05 CEST 2007

Hi All,

This is not directly related to R but I post the questions here since
there are a lot of experts on statistics. I want to calculate power
of logistic regression using likelihood ratio test in unmatched case
control design. The paper I have read is "power calculations for
likelihood ratio tests in generalized linear models" by Steven G.
Self in 1992. They showed a formula for calculating power for
prospective cohort design. Can I plug in the various parameters from
case control study? That is, can I pretend that the case control data
I have is a prospective cohort study? I guess I can do this since in
principal logistic regression is valid for both case control and
cohort design in estimating odds ratio.

Thanks a lot!