[R] Ubu edgy + latest CRAN R + Rmpi = no go

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Jun 8 16:27:49 CEST 2007

On 7 June 2007 at 17:22, Tim Keitt wrote:
| I'm just curious if anyone else has had problems with this
| configuration. I added the CRAN repository to apt and installed 2.5.0
| with apt-get. I then did an install.packages("Rmpi") on cluster nodes.
| Rmpi loads and lamhosts() shows the nodes, but mpi.spawn.Rslaves()
| fails (something to do with temp files?). Rmpi works fine with the

I have had similar issues at work. If you fix the lam packages at version
7.1.1, it works.  It does not seem to work with 7.1.2 in the current Ubuntu,
not does it work with 7.1.4 (current upstream version).

As other MPI tools seem to work, I would put the error on Rmpi, but I have
not had time to pin this down.

For what it's worth, a few of us are trying to revive the OpenMPI packages in
Debian, and I have started to on a port of Rmpi to ROpenMPI.  No ETA for that.

| Edgy-native version of R (2.3.x) and installing Edgy's r-cran-rmpi
| with apt. (But I need some other packages that only work in 2.4+!)
| Could this be a problem with the latest Ubu debs on CRAN? The Rmpi

R itself is just fine on Ubuntu, thank you.

Dirk

| author says his R 2.5 setup works fine. CC me please as I'm not
| subscribed.
|
| THK
|
| --
| Timothy H. Keitt, University of Texas at Austin
| Contact info and schedule at http://www.keittlab.org/tkeitt/
| Reprints at http://www.keittlab.org/tkeitt/papers/
| ODF attachment? See http://www.openoffice.org/

| and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison