[R] "R is not a validated software package.."

Sicotte, Hugues Ph.D. Sicotte.Hugues at mayo.edu
Fri Jun 8 16:40:59 CEST 2007

People, don't get angry at the pharma statistician, he is just trying to
abide by an FDA requirement that is designed to insure that test perform
reliably the same. There is no point in getting into which product is
better. As far as the FDA rules are concerned a validated system beats a
"better" system any day of the week.

Here is your polite answer.
You can develop and try your software in R.
Should they need to use those results in a report that will matter to
the FDA, then you can work together with him to set up a validated
environment for S-plus. You then have to commit to port your code to
S-plus.

As I assume that you do not work in a regulated environment, you
probably wouldn't have access to a validated SAS environment anyways. It
is not usually enough to install a piece of software, you have to
validate every step of the installation. Since AFAIK the FDA uses
S-plus, it would be to your pharma person's advantage to speed-up
submissions if they also had a validated S-plus environment.

http://www.msmiami.com/custom/downloads/S-PLUSValidationdatasheet_Final.
pdf