[R] Read Windows-like .INI files into R data structure?

ngottlieb at marinercapital.com ngottlieb at marinercapital.com
Tue Jun 12 19:15:22 CEST 2007

Earl:

.Ini files are, for lack of a better description, ancient.

There are old windows functions such as GetProfileString.
However you will have to make reference to load these from the windows
Kernel.dll.
Probably not worth the effort to code really old things as .ini files.

>From what I see of packages, better to change these files to XML format
see if the XML package on CRAN will solve your requirement.

The section names would be top nodes with
XML tags containing the data at the sub level. XML is really
The best way to go; get away from .ini files.

Look at the XML package, reading nodes, parsing DOM.

Neil