[R] Viewing a data object

Stephen Tucker brown_emu at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 13 08:25:41 CEST 2007

Hi Horace,

I have also thought that it may be useful but I don't know of any Object
Explorer available for R.

However, (you may alread know this but)
(1) you can view your list of objects in R with objects(),
(2) view objects in a spreadsheet-like table (if they are matrices or data
frames) with invisible(edit(objectName)) [which isn't easy on the fingers].
fix(objectName) is also a shorter option but it has the side effect of
possibly changing your object when you close the viewing data. For instance,
this can happen if you mistakenly type something into a cell; it can also
change your column classes when you don't - for example:

> options(stringsAsFactors=TRUE)
> x <- data.frame(letters[1:5],1:5)
> sapply(x,class)
letters.1.5.         X1.5
    "factor"    "integer"
> fix(x) # no user-changes made
> sapply(x,class)
letters.1.5.         X1.5
    "factor"    "numeric"

(3) I believe Deepayan Sarkar contributed the tab-completion capability at
the command line. So unless you have a lot of objects beginning with
'AuroraStoch...' you should be able to type a few letters and let the
auto-completion handle the rest.

Best regards,

ST