[R] Awk and Vilno

(Ted Harding) ted.harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Wed Jun 13 11:00:15 CEST 2007

On 13-Jun-07 01:24:41, Robert Wilkins wrote:
> In clinical trial data preparation and many other data situations,
> the statistical programmer needs to merge and re-merge multiple
> input files countless times. A syntax for merging files that is
> clear and concise is very important for the statistical programmer's
> productivity.
>
> Here is how Vilno does it:
>
> inlist dataset1 dataset2 dataset3 ;
> joinby variable1 variable2  where ( var3<=var4 ) ;
> [...]

Thanks to Robert for this more explicit illustration of what Vilno
does. Its potential usefulness is clear.

I broadly agree with the comments that have been made about the
various approaches (with/without awk/sed/R etc).

Is there any URL that leads to a fuller explicit exposition of Vilno?

As I said previously, a web-search on "vilno" leads to very little
that is relevant. What I did find didn't amount to much.

Best wishes,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <ted.harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861