[R] Awk and Vilno

Rogerio Porto rdporto1 at terra.com.br
Wed Jun 13 16:50:55 CEST 2007

Hey,

> What we should really compare is the four situations:
> R alone
> R + awk
> R + vilno
> R + awk + vilno
> and maybe "R + SAS Data step"
> and see what scripts are more  elegant (read 'short and understandable')

what do you guys think of creating a R-wiki page for syntax
comparisons among the various options to enhance R use?

I already have two sugestions:

1) syntax examples for using R and other tools to manipulate
and analyze large datasets (with a concise description of the
datasets);

2) syntax examples for using R and other tools (or R alone) to clean
and prepare datasets (simple and very small datasets, for didatic
purposes).

I think this could be interesting for R users and to promote other
software tools, since it seems there is a lot of R users that use
other tools also.

Besides that, questions on those two above subjects are prevalent
at this list. Thus a wiki page seems to be the right place to discuss
and teach this to other users.

What do you think?

Rogerio