[R] Panel data

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 14 08:42:48 CEST 2007

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007, Megh Dal wrote:

> Then what is the difference between panel data and time series data? You
> said panel data is data on "same subject being tracked over time". But
> time series data also do the same. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Panel data is about several subjects being tracked over time, so gives a
series of related time series.  It also known as 'longitudinal data' or
'repeated measures' (perhaps with slightly different emphases).

If the observation times were the same for all subjects a vector AR
(presumably the one of several senses of 'VAR' being used) could be used,
but conventional analyses are via mixed/GEE models (and in simple cases
these reduce to a nested anova).

There are examples in MASS and in Diggle, Hegarty, Liang and Zeger (cited
there).