[R] Responding to a posting in the digest

(Ted Harding) ted.harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Thu Jun 14 10:54:04 CEST 2007

On 14-Jun-07 07:26:26, Moshe Olshansky wrote:
> Is there a convenient way to respond to a particular
> posting which is a part of the digest?
> I mean something that will automatically quote the
> original message, subject, etc.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Moshe Olshansky
> m_olshansky at yahoo.com

This will depend on two things.

1. Whether the mail software you use has the capability;
2. Whether the digest format would permit it anyway.

Regarding (2), if you are receiving R-help in "traditional"
digest format (all the messages, each with its principal
headers, as one single long message-body), then the only
way to respond to a particular message is to start to
compose a new message and copy what you need from the digest.

While I've never reveived R-help in digest format myself,
according to Martin Maechler:

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/59429.html

  Please open the URL at the end of every message
  go to the bottom and "log in" -- clicking the
  [Unsubscribe or Edit Options] field. You need your
  mailing list password sooner or later. The one you
  get sent every 1st of the month; or you can have it
  sent to you again.

  Then you are in a page entitled
     "R-help Membership Configuration for <foo>@<bar"
  Scroll down to the section
     "Your R-help Subscription"
  where the 3rd entry is entitled
     "Get MIME or Plain Text Digests?"
  and now you want MIME.

In MIME digest format, each message with its own main headers
is a separate MIME attachment, and suitable mail software can
bring any message up on its own, You can then reply in the
normal way.

However (and here is where I'm ignorant as a result of never
having received R-help as digest), your reply may not continue
the thread -- since this depends on message-identifier headers
being present which allow threading software to trace which
messages are replies to which message. The JISCMAIL MIME digest
for the AllStat mailing list only includes a Message-ID for the
digest as a whole, i.e. the ID for the entire digest message.
Message-IDs for the individual messages in the digest (as would
be seen by people who received them singly) are absent: you only
get the likes of