[R] R programming question

Nelson, Gary (FWE) Gary.Nelson at state.ma.us
Thu Jun 14 17:02:13 CEST 2007

Dear All.,

I've created R-code for which a user will be asked to choose between 2
analyses.  I've written one function for each type of analysis.  Within
each function, the users is prompted to enter information.  An example
is:

cat("Enter value for lower Linf :\n")
     L1<-scan(n=1)
     cat("Enter value for upper Linf :\n")
     L2<-scan(n=1)
     cat("Enter Linf interval :\n")
     int_L<-scan(n=1)
     cat("Enter value for lower K :\n")
     K1<-scan(n=1)
     cat("Enter value for upper K :\n")
     K2<-scan(n=1)
     cat("Enter K interval :\n")
     int_K<-scan(n=1)

I thought I could evaluate and run the appropriate function at the end
of the program by:

if(event==1) explore() else evaluate()

If I run the whole program and either explore() or evaluate() is run,
the first four prompted entries are skipped over.  The console output
for event==1 is TRUE looks like:

> if(event==1) explore() else evaluate()
Enter value for lower Linf :
1:
Read 0 items
Enter value for upper Linf :
1:
Read 0 items
Enter Linf interval :
1:
Read 0 items
Enter value for lower K :
1:
Read 0 items
Enter value for upper K :
1:

I then tried another way.  I created

runcase<-ifelse(event==1,"explore","evaluate")

At the bottom of the program I used:

eval(call(x=runcase))

But I still get the same problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help

Gary A. Nelson, Ph.D
Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries
30 Emerson Avenue
Gloucester, MA 01930
Phone: (978) 282-0308 x114
Fax: (617) 727-3337