[R] Using subset() in a user-defined function

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Jun 14 17:18:23 CEST 2007

On 6/14/2007 10:57 AM, Tobin, Jared wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response, Duncan.
>
> The given code doesn't seem to work, and possibly due to this reason I
> found in the online help for missing() (if I understand it correctly):
>
> "Currently missing() can only be used in the immediate body of the
> function that defines the argument, not in the body of a nested function
> or a local call. This may change in the future."
>
> So as I understand it, missing() cannot refer to the arguments of
> function1 if it is used in an argument of subset()?  It seems to remain
> a promising function for this situation regardless, but I'm not sure how
> I could implement it into the subset() arguments offhand.

Right, I had forgotten that subset uses nonstandard evaluation.  You
could evaluate add some variables to hold it, e.g.

mysubset <- function(arg1="", arg2="", arg3="") {
   miss1 <- missing(arg1)
   miss2 <- missing(arg2)
   miss3 <- missing(arg3)

   subset(master.frame, (miss1 | a == arg1) &
                      (miss2 | b == arg2) &
                      (miss3 | c == arg3))
}

This time I did test it as I should have last time, so I can tell you
that if all args are missing you'll get the full master.frame.

Duncan Murdoch