[R] Optimization

Petr Klasterecky klaster at karlin.mff.cuni.cz
Mon Jun 18 19:08:44 CEST 2007

Hi,

my first guess is that the algorithm returns a negative value in some
step - recall that you start from 0.0207!! This negative value is then
passed as standard error to qnorm and that cannot work...
My guess is based on a small experiment where I tried a different
starting point (.02 is so close to 0 that one cannot see anything):
xsd <- optim(20, fr, NULL,method="BFGS",control=list(trace=6))

The warnings which you didn't include also tell you about NaNs in
qnorm() - another strong indication of wrong arguments to qnorm().

Try constrained optimization to resctrict to positive values.
See ?constrOptim or use optim() with a method allowing for box
constraints - see ?optim, arguments lower, upper.

Petr

--
Petr Klasterecky
Dept. of Probability and Statistics