[R] String manipulation, insert delim

Christopher Marcum cmarcum at uci.edu
Tue Jun 19 01:54:19 CEST 2007

Hello All,

I've been using R for two years now and I am happy to say this is the
first time I could not find the answer to my problem in the R-help
archives. Here is the pending problem:

I want to be able to insert delimiters, say commas, into a string of
characters at uneven intervals such that:

foo<-c("haveaniceday")#my string of character
bar<-c(4,1,4,3) # my vector of uneven intervals

my.fun(foo,bar) # some function that places delimiters appropriately

have,a,nice,day # what the function would ideally return

I've tried multiple for-loops using cut and paste but have not had success.

Thanks!
Chris Marcum
UCI Sociology